View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Let me clarify some incorrect information posted about IVIG.

First, IVIG is, in fact, very expensive, but it is NOT "tailored" to a specific patient...not in any way, shape, or form. Its expense is solely due to being a blood product (a very small portion of the blood) that requires up to 2000 donors per dose and it has a very detailed processing. Blood products are always in short supply and therefore, criteria to receive it is strict.

Second, based upon posters here using the NHS, it is much harder to get IVIG in the UK....especially for SFN.

IVIG has been found to be helpful in some immune mediated neuropathies, but it doesn't work in all cases/types.

Joanna,

A trial of 3-6 months would be more than enough to determine if IVIG will be effective or not.

I do not know whether someone can take a biologic along side IVIG...I have that question myself for my doctor on Tuesday, since it is believed (but we are still confirming) I have psoriatic arthritis and might benefit from a biologic. If I find out anything on using this combo together, I'll post it here after next Tuesday.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (07-24-2015), JoannaP79 (07-24-2015), LouLou1978 (07-24-2015), mrsD (07-24-2015)