View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Exclamation Resistance to Thyroid Hormone or something else?

Hi!
I will try to give a brief overview of my situation. I am not sure which board to post in.
I have been suffering from fatigue/exhaustion for a long, long time. It's hard to pinpoint how long but more than 14 years (I am 34 years old). I have always been prone to infections (tonsillitis, ear, lung) and once had a kidney infection. I have always had slight anemia (between 10.3 and 11.8 g\dL hemoglobin). I am also prone to headaches and sharp pain in my large joins (elbows, wrists mainly). And bursitis (both hips and wrist, diagnosed via ultrasound). I was always constipated as a child (could go 3 or 4 days without nº2) but 3 years ago my intestines shut down. I went 15 days without going to the toilet and was very bloated, has severe nausea and decided to take a laxative, I have had to rely on laxatives since then (I have tried fiber, increase hydration, lactulose, senna, glycerin suppositories, figs, prunes and so on) I can only go if I take 2 Dulcolax (sometimes even that doesn’t work and I have to take 1 more). I cannot burp or pass gas and I do not feel or hear any intestinal movement. I put on 10 pounds in the last year (first weight gain ever) and feel huge and bloated (BMI is 22). I have really bad brain fog, memory lapses and generally feel dull and as if I am shutting down at the same time I feel jittery and have very light sleep.
I gave up gluten 7 years ago (reduced my headaches and infections and cleared up my eczema).
After trying to get help from 3 general practitioners and 1 gynecologist (they all said drink more, take more fiber) I decided to see an Endocrinologist.
The Endocrinologist is wonderful, she listened to me! She first suspected PCOS (I have excess facial hair and was suffering from swollen breasts, plus the weight gain etc.). An ultrasound failed to find any cysts.
I have negative tests for arthritis, Lupus (my mom has Lupus), my ferritin is slightly elevated 160ng/mL (range 15-150) and my iron level is OK at 94 ug/dL (range 35-140), Vit D, Magnesium and B12 are all in middle of normal range).
She is quite certain I have what she calls “Resistance to Thyroid Hormone”. Even though my bloodwork looks normal:
Free T3 3.1pg/mL range 1.9 to 4.4
Free T4 1.1 ng/dL range 0.6 to 2.0
TSH 2.1 uUI/mL range 0.01 to 5.0
(no thyroid antibodies)
She asked whether I would like to trial Levothyroxine and see if it improved my health, I said yes I’ll try anything.
She started me off on 25mcg then 50 then 75. My levels changed slightly, 6 week blood test:
Free T3 3.0 (slight decrease)
Free T4 1.5 (slight increase)
TSH 0.60 (suppressed)

With the Levothyroxine I have been sleeping better, feel calmer and had 1 bowel movement 4 days after the increase to 50 to 75 and to 113.
As we determined I don’t seem hyper she has increased me again 88mcg, 100 and now 113 mcg.
I had one spontaneous bowel movement with my last increase (113mcg Levothyroxine) and like before, nothing more. My energy has improved but only slightly. I do feel calmer. In a couple of months she is going to trial me on T3, if I don’t improve further from this Levothyroxine trial.

I am especially bothered by my fatigue, constipation and my brain, I have a hard time concentrating, my memory is really bad (my husband has to remind me again and again about things) and today I forgot how to turn the hot water on, I thought the water heater was broken but I had turned the tap the wrong way, proceeded to try all taps in the house but only figured out my mistake when my husband showed me).
Now, has anyone ever heard of this?
What do you think of the diagnosis?
Any tips, suggestions?

Thank-you!!!
RachelK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote