View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

TOSlady and Akash, I will look into both of those options. My insurance won't pay for the NamendaXR for me, so I'm no longer on it, and that sucks.

Akash, do you need a prescription to get the Namenda from India? I looked it up and it is basically less than $2.00 for a month prescription if I looked at it correctly, shipping will cost more. I know the non-extended release kind is $60 and they will ship it to you from Canada....

TOSlady, I will ask my neurologist about that medication and see what he thinks.

My doctor had me up to 13,000 mg of Keppra and I ended up having auditory and visual hallucinations from it along with the Tegretal.... It was interacting with the Tegretal which I was at 600 mg daily, so it made the Tegretal stronger, causing Tegretal poisoning effectively and I lost my balance and would get very dizzy and became paranoid and extremely slow thinking, basically I became and idiot and increasingly so as the dose increased, but then I would grow a tolerance to the level and get better with the slow thinking up to about 8,000 mg was tolerable for all side effects so long as I increased those dose no more than once a week or once every two weeks by about 500-1000 mg. Soooo, I guess I tested the limits of those medications, lol. Anyway, I am off both of them now, though I did lose 45 lbs while on the Keppra and it did help with the nerve pain. I went off it really quick which was a bad idea and went through major withdrawal for about 5 days.

So I want to share my current medications, because I'm doing fairly well on them:

100 mg of Tramadol XR twice a day - once in the morning and once at bedtime
300 mg of Trileptal twice a day
Torodal 10 mg - up to 4 times daily, but that much would eat away my stomach and cause bleeding in the stomach on a regular basis, so I usually only take 1-2 pills per day.
Nexium 60-80 mg per day - to help prevent the stomach problems that Torodal ALWAYS causes if taken over long periods of time.
Lorazepam .5 mg - I usually take one at night because that is when my nerve pain is the worst and I get anxious when I start hurting so much which only makes my muscles tighten up and worsens the pain.
Savella - 50 mg twice a day

If I really want to not hurt one day I will take 40-80 mg dextromethorphan per day, because that is also an NMDA antagonist and it blocks the pain signals to the brain. However, I have to take this before 2pm or I won't sleep at night, and I can't do this every day or I will develop a tolerance and at higher levels it causes hallucinations and paranoia. At much higher levels people "Robotrip", but that's at crazy high levels and people die from doing that and stuff, so one should not use too much or very often I think. Since starting the Tramadol XR I haven't taken the dextromethorphan at all, so that says a lot for the Tramadol XR's effectiveness.

In the past I was prescribed Tramadol - not XR, and it didn't last long enough for me to feel like it was helping with my daily functioning....but I'm really happy with taking the XR twice a day - it's supposed to last 24 hours, but this way I don't have as much break through pain when it starts to wear off.
Eight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote