Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi MelodyL,

If I recall correctly, some time ago your husband had a similar dental situation in which a post and crown came out. Perhaps it was this same tooth?

What you see in the crown is pieces of a decayed tooth, cement and a post. Due to the decay, the tooth has most likely broken off to the gum line. Any tooth with a post in it has been root canaled prior to the placement of the post. It is typical for a root canaled tooth to decay around the post over time. It is worth mentioning that to put this size post in a tooth root, the root had to be hollowed out quite a bit which results in nothing more than a thin shell of root structure. The decay has most likely spread into the root system and possibly beyond. So an xray would help to show how deeply the tooth is decayed and if there is an infection beyond the tooth.

Regarding the replacement of this post and crown..... if the decay is extensive and cannot be drilled out without perforating the root and/or there is infection beyond the tooth, then the tooth cannot be properly restored. If the dentist leaves the decay the way it is and attempts to re-cement this post and crown or make new ones, they will just keep falling out as there is not enough tooth structure to hold the post in or the crown on and he will have a chronic infection brewing from the decay, etc.

There are lots of new devices and technology in dentistry but there are limitations to everything when the tooth is compromised beyond restoring.

Bryanna

So it's up to the dentist to tell Alan that he has to drill out the remaining decaying part that is there, and, after an x-ray, depending on what the x-ray indicates, the dentist can either re-cement the whole thing back onto Alan or he will tell Alan, this is too far gone, you need a whole new post and crown" whereupon Alan will look at the guy and say 'Forget that, I can't afford THAT, pull whatever is left".

Did I get this right?

Thanks so much

Melody
P.S. I just re-read your initial post. If there is no possibility to restore even a new crown and post, then Alan's only option is to have whatever remains, PULLED. Because he can't afford any implant (even if it were possible), did I get this part correct?: Thanks

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote