View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Angry DDD ,, Degenerative Disc Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
This sounds VERY difficult and it was sad to read your last sentence, but certainly understandable!!!

I have various muscle and nerve pain throughout my body. I can share some things I have been doing about bad neck pain. I'm having more and more issues there and I suspect they are of varying origins....perhaps all combining and at times giving me great pain. I have two cracked vertebrae, I have been dx'd with occiptal neuralgia, I suffer from lupus and other auto immune "stuff," so inflammation and various odd aches and pains are common.

For me, right now, I'm using Aspercreme mixed with my new favorite OTC nerve cream: Ortho-Nesic Pain Relieving gel....you probably have to get it on line. This mixed with Aspercream works well for my neck pain (usually).

By the way, I have other nerve pain in my face that is severe. For this area, my neurologist prescribes a cream that I have made up by a compounding pharmacy. In this cream is Gabapentin, Lidocaine and capsaicin. It helps a lot for my facial nerve pain, but is a little expensive. This is also something to think about...but it isn't always easy to find a doctor who works with compounding meds. These creams can have prescription strength anti inflammatories put into them.

I also really like the medication Baclofen, which is a muscle relaxer, but for some reason seems to also mildly help nerve issues...a double whammy.

I often have to lay down with a heating pad and I really like baths with Epsom salts.

I haven't tried chiropractic yet...I'm a little afraid as sometimes just touching my shoulders or neck lightly causes extreme pain.

I periodically take Gloucosamine. My spouse takes it with great results for arthritis and because of this I am considering seeing if taking it regularly will help me.

I take the RX Topamax for my headaches. It is a great one to try if those nasty headaches are out of control.

I agree that eating in a healthy manner helps reduce pain a little and every little bit makes a difference. I have reduced sugar and no longer eat flour. I also avoid junk food and drink a lot of water. If nothing else, it has helped my energy levels significantly. When you have a lot of pain, energy goes out the window.

It might sound crazy, but if you can do gentle walking, especially in the mornings, it might help. Hubby and I both improved upon our back pain this way several times. I suspect it has to do with oxygenating the cells. Again, every little bit helps.

Please don't give up. Keep seeking a good doctor to help you. Leave no stoned unturned. I do know of people who got on the right medication and their neck pain got much better. I know of others, that ended up needing surgery. Just keep searching for the right answers.

I'm only a little older than you...I "get it." Some days I want to scream due to all my painful health issues....but the support of a good doctor can bring much hope.

Blessings.

i'm new here and not quite sure 'where' to reply ' .. so i'm typing at the end of your post . hope that's ok .

i've been diagnosed over 10 yrs ago with DDD . in my neck, my thoracic spine and my lower lumbar.. so basically from my neck to my bottom . .

i have not had any surgery on any of these spots . other than a few different procedures on my lower spine , back in 07-09 when i was first diagnosed with the DDD in my lower lumbar . . .nerve ending blocks, epidurals, and a few others that i don't remember now .
but i am fortunate with my back pain . if i can sit down for 3 or 4 min , the pain will go away and i can continue on walking for another 10 min or so . not much more than that tho . . so i bought a 'cane /seat on the net' , and i carry it everywhere with me . and as i said , as long as i can sit for just a few min ,i can get rid of the pain . i had my last MRI 2 yrs ago and was told that i also now had a pinched nerve .. .
my Neck is my main problem .. i think its from being online or reading for long periods of time . .. those are my main activiities these days cause i really can't walk or stand for long periods of time .
for my neck , i found a Menthol creme , at Dollar General store .. of all places . . after all the expensive cremes i'v e been sold thru various drs and p.theratpists . .Muscle rub is the name of it . and it works for about an hr or so . . when the pain comes back , i just re-apply .. and i'm good to go . .
if it really gets too bad, and that's not working . . i lie down . and put a cushion under my neck and usually within 15 min . the pain is gone .

i'm wondering if you know of anyone with this disease . .. and what i can expect in the future . .because i know its 'degenerative' , i know it WILL only get worse . .

thanks for any help you can give me. i'm 68 yrs old .. .and have Osteo Arthritis all over my body too . . Jeanne Loriol
JEANNE68 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (07-28-2015)