View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 07:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

i know this is an old forum but in case other people who are going through the same issues now also come upon this forum...

Make sure you go see your doctor. Mine prescribed Nortriptyline and it worked wonders almost immediately. I started on just 10mg and that was enough to ease my depression almost 100%. I still had some bad days every now and then during the first week after starting to take it, but I felt renewed after that first week.

My mistake was thinking that, since there is no direct treatment for PCS, my doctor wouldn't be able to do anything (I've had 2 concussion before this one and no treatment was ever given - they just got better on their own). I didn't see my doctor until 4 months after this head injury. Within that time, I almost killed myself...a few times.

As for symptoms I had...I could barely do anything. It was hard to think or move...I couldn't cook or work or read or text...everything was so draining and painful on the mind. I tried to take walks but that usually worsened my symptoms.

I rested as much as I could. I took time off work, dropped all my activities, cancelled all my plans, and just spent a lot of time in bed away from stimulation. I think that may have made my depression worse. I didn't get better and just was bored out of my mind always sitting in a dark room and not talking to others. I tried to ease back into light activities/exercise and it felt great, but then my symptoms would just come back worse afterwards.

Insomnia was probably the worst problem I had, and I still have issues now. I tried melatonin, "sleep phones" that my friend bought me that plays loops of tracks that are supposed to help you sleep, white noise machines, etc etc. Some seem to work well for a bit, but then I'd have the same problems after a while again.

I also tried 5-HTP for mood elevation before I was prescribed Nortriptyline, but I felt like that just made my headaches worse.

Good luck and remember this is just temporary. You will get better (even though it might not seem like that at times). Talk to your doctor and get treated.
aeris07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote