Thread: Tarlov cysts
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Telvaker,I am sorry to hear about the status of your pain. It must have been a hard decision to postpone the surgery.
I am putting everything together to go for the phone consultation, although I am also considering going there (from Boston) for a personal appointment with Dr. F. Last week I filled out a survey from the Tarlov Cyst Foundation, and where they asked me to put a pseudonym, I put my full name and contact info. The next day I got an e-mail from Reta Honey, the President of the Foundation, and she asked me if I would like to talk to her over the phone. On Thursday I spoke with her for more than an hour and she gave me important information about TC such as pain management, PT, etc. I can't thank her enough! If you haven't talk to her, perhaps you should try to do so. I may talk to her again soon.
Well, it may be that now things are moving faster in this part of the country. Last Friday I had my appointment with my pain doctor (assistant professor at Harvard) and for the first time in months she is admitting that TC may be the cause of my pain and discomfort. On Tuesday I am going for my third steroid injection, as the previous two did not do all the work. I know that steroid injection "may" trigger CSF into the cyst, but I have no choice, because I need to work now that I used all my medical leave. I told my pain doctor I was going for a second opinion. In fact I am educating her about the existence and expertise of Dr. F and of Dr. Adrian Casey in England, who also operates TCs using Dr. F's technique. She looked at me, took notes and then encouraged me to get as much information as possible before opting for the surgery. It is what I am doing now as I wait for my appointment. I stopped PT because it was giving me more pain. This was a good decision because I was told that PT and any stretching exercise is detrimental to my condition. I am now managing my pain by taking gabapentin (twice a day 600 mg and 900 at night) together with Oxycodone (10 mg three times a day) and aleve. My pain now went down to 4 (?) but there are bad days where I feel no hope. I also walk very slowly and practically don't bend. I sleep on my stomach and rely a lot on ice packs. Now it comes the fight with the Insurance Company (I have Blue Cross Blue Shield). I have no clue as to how much the operation costs (I have heard $30,000, but I am not sure if this includes F's fee. Anyway, you already crossed this insurance path, don't want to bother you with mine.
Because I am still scared about the surgery and about the success rate that Dr. F has had, I am asking some relatives in Europe to do their own investigation with neurosurgeons over there. I want to make a well-informed decision and between now and the time I get to see Dr. F., I have plenty of time to read and listen. I will keep you posted. Wishing you better days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvaker View Post
Claudia i encourage you to consult with dr. F sooner rather than later. Doctors have no answers for u as to where your pain is coming from I bet. The one thing I know for sure is that I have multiple Tarlov cysts, that is confirmed. People who have these all have comparable symptoms. We know each other only thru the internet so what is their response to that? If these hospitals had surgeons that could perform the surgery you can bet they would admit the cysts cause pain. My pain has increased dramatically and I wish I would have taken his next appointment for surgery but our daughter gets married October 24th and I was worried about my recovery time. I know the recovery process takes years but I was worried about being laid up for her wedding. I feel as though my entire body is being pulled apart. It's so beyond painful I can barely handle it. I never dreamed the pain could get worse but it sure does. My dr never told me I had these cysts. 16 months after my initial MRI I sent my imaging to Johns Hopkins and they told me. If I had not done that I never would have known. I am so beyond angry that I have suffered for 2 years longer than I should have and volumes of damage has been done. I can't have the surgery fast enuf and that's when u know u have made the right decision I think.
I was so worried about the outcome because I was getting by. Now things have changed and it's getting almost impossible to function and work. I never had that before. People were shocked that I could still worked and I was soooo thankful that I could. Now I'm scared
Keep us posted on your journey and keep in touch
Claudia Santelices is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote