View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 09:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcechop View Post
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I found it in a Google search for scapular dyskinesis. I had a car wreck and tore the lower trapezius and rhomboid. This has caused quite a bit of pain, an impingement in my shoulder, and various other symptoms. I visited Dr Ben Kibler in Lexington, KY ans he recommended a surgery to reattach these muscles. Is anyone familiar with this surgeon or procedure? Thanks for any input. I'm just trying to make sure this is the right thing to do. Google search "the scapula & the dts by Ben Kibler" and watch the video of one of his lectures regarding this. Around 16:30 mark you can see what my scapula is doing.
Just saw the video and your winged scapula. (Try googling "winged scapula" or "scapular winging" for additional info.) As your doctor points out, a winged scapula occurs because of dysfunction w/ the serratus anterior muscle. While I suppose a torn/detached serratus muscle might cause this problem (do you have proof of this?) ... a winged scapula can also be caused by compression/injury of the Long Thoracic Nerve (LTN) which innervates the serratus anterior muscle. Seek a second opinion w/ a peripheral neurosurgeon to have your LTN evaluated. It's possible that a nerve decompression surgery might be a more appropriate path....

http://nerve.wustl.edu/nd_transfers_scapula.php

I should also note that sometimes people just have muscle imbalance and a weak serratus, in which case physical therapy to strengthen the muscle is usually the first treatment path. (See exercises like the "push-up plus.") But, since this happened after a car accident, seems doubtful that this is just a random muscle imbalance issue.

Def get another opinion...and good luck!

Last edited by cyclist; 07-26-2015 at 09:49 PM.
cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote