View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A friend...very concerned

I suppose I already know the answers to most of this, but need to hear it from people who have been in this situation one way or another.
My spouse and I rarely drink. We will have a drink now and again socially.
We have a couple friend from the South that drink heavily. They moved to another state, so we don't see them nearly as often. I'm worried about both of them, but particularly about the husband. I've known them for over twenty years and during this time, when we see them, it is clear to me that his drinking has increased and there are physical changes too.
Dinner: He often will have a drink of hard liquor before meeting us at the restaurant. At the restaurant, he will have several classes of wine. He will then have a dessert wine at the end. He might have a drink or two with lunch as well.
I noticed his hand shaking one time and after drinking, it seemed to stop.
Additionally, he seems to be slightly grouchy prior to drinking (at times).
Sometimes when he drinks he is mellow, but other times he is loud and inappropriate. At times, his gait seems slightly shaky.
He has been drinking very regularly for over twenty years, with a seemingly steady increase in frequency.
His wife drinks a lot as well, but slightly less and does not show these symptoms.
My initial guess is I'm seeing the husband engage in alcohol abuse....but more likely alcohol addiction.
The wife...possibly an issue there as well.
They have indicated that they drink at least one glass of wine a day to relax...but I suspect it could be more.
Can anyone give me some insight and / or advice?
Can people drink like this in moderation or go back to moderation? I cringe, as I have my doubts.
They are VERY nice, intelligent and productive people.
I'm very concerned and am unsure of what I'm observing and if there is anything I can do. I'm sure they don't believe there is an issue here.