View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Please tell me about genetic testing

Early this week I had another neuro appt. He read the tests I had taken from the previous visit and basically it boils down to to nothing autoimmune is causing my pn (thankfully). But...there seems to be not much else he can do for me. The upped Lyrica dosage (450 mg/day), metanx and anodyne therapy have me much more comfortable now since I have not had any burning for several weeks. I wonder how much of that is coincidence since for the past several weeks I have not had to be on my feet as much and now that the anodyne therapy is done if the pn will stay away or come back gradually. Anyway, to get back to the neuro visit...he did suggest that I have genetic testing done to see if my pn is caused by Charcot Marie Tooth.

Has anyone here done the genetic testing? Why does it need to be done in my home instead of at a hospital or dr office? If you had it done, was it worthwhile? I'm under the impression that even if they find a genetic reason for my pn they still will not be able to do much about it. Yes, it would be nice to have peace of mind in knowing WHY, but I'm sure my insurance won't pay--they never do--and since this test is so pricey I'm don't know if it would be worth it. Basically, neuro told me to be careful since I apparently do not feel everything I should with my feet. Is that about what y'all have been told too?
possumtrot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote