View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tara,

Please calm down. Your case is another perfect example of the many serious risks associated with root canal therapy that are never discussed with the patient prior to the procedure and then are made light of after it's done.

The rc filling material that was used is bio compatible. However, that simply means that it is considered compatible with living tissue and not meant to cause an immunological reaction when used as it is intended. At the same time, it is not meant to be used as a overfill in rc teeth because it does not get absorbed and is a constant irritant when it is placed in areas that recognize it as an offensive foreign material.

Not to make light of your situation by any means but just to inform you ..... although your dental situation is very unfortunate it is NOT uncommon. Meaning it is typical for root canals to be done this way and over shoot the filling material ... it is typical for the dentist who did the root canal (and for others to cover for him) to make light of the overfill ..... it is a common surgery for an oral surgeon to perform because it is seen ALL the time. Is the surgery without risks? No. Is it wise to leave this diseased tooth and irritating material in the bone or nerve canal? No.

It is important for you to understand that it is rrelevant of whether or not the radio graphs show infection, irrelevant of whether or not you have pain in this tooth..... the tooth itself is infected due to the necrotic nerve tissue stuck inside of the dentin tubules. I want to make that clear to you because you are gauging this problem on your physical symptoms which is truly not wise because the longer you put this off, the more likely you are to develop systemic problems and the more complicated the surgery would become to remove the tooth, etc.

Your oral surgeon sounds like he will do a thorough job but take every precaution to minimize trauma to the nerve. However, he cannot guarantee that he will be able to remove all of that material. He cannot guarantee that you will not have some nerve damage or whether it will be temporary or permanent. There is no way to know what the neurological outcome will be but you will be ridden of a very sick tooth. So the concerns over the "progression" of an infection and the progression of neurological problems will be minimized if not completely eliminated after the tooth and material is removed.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzergurl00 View Post
Okay..I am so overwhelmed.

I just got home from the oral surgeon. I got a chance to see the x-ray and the overfill was bad. It is a long string extending 1/2 - 2/3 way under my tooth. The surgeon called an endodontist who recommended I remove the tooth and material asap. I had to have a dental CT and it showed the calcium hydroxate sealer is in the nerve canal!
Tomorrow at 1, he is going to remove the tooth and material. There is no infection in my bone. Out of all the dentist I saw, only 1 said there was infection. Her partner didn't even agree. So, I have no infection that is visible in the jawbone. He said he would remove any infection and he will have to go into the nerve canal and try to remove as much of the sealer as he can without damaging the nerve. I am going to just have local anesthesia during the procedure bc I don't like be sedated.

What are you opinions on this? Is this the correct way to treat this?

I am terrified!!!!

I am scared the nerve damage is irreversible.. Right now I have feeling, but it just feels a bit odd.

I am scared the pain will be there forever.

I am scared of further damage.

And …i'm wondering….why did the dentist who performed the root canal say it is biocompatible and will be absorbed?

How did the material get INTO my nerve canal?

Thank you. I'm feeling scared and overwhelmed

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote