View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--that is, how much of the nerve itself was severed/separated, full recovery may take months to years, if it happens at all.

Traumatic nerve injuries that involve crush or stretch are usually easier and quicker to recover from than those that involve severance or separation. In the latter cases there has been some experimental use of nerve grafting to encourage the separated ends of the nerve tracts to reconnect, but this is far from a certain technique.

It may just be a process of waiting, monitoring, and keeping track. DO expect there to be some weird sensations, and symptom upticks, during the process.
I am glad to be able to chime in on this one!
When I was 15 my pinky finger artery and nerve was cut in half and had to be repaired by a plastic surgeon. It took years to have normal sensation. It had numb spots and tingly sensations for at least 3 years and then if I remember correctly, it took about 6-7 years to have complete sensation back.
I always think of this as encouragement that nerves can heal. It's a matter of finding the cause though- that deters that from happening for those of us that can't figure out what is attacking the nerves.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
canagirl (07-30-2015), glenntaj (07-31-2015), Lukesmom (07-30-2015), madisongrrl (07-30-2015), northerngal (07-31-2015)