View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 11:37 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Need help/advice/information on Peripheral Neuropathy

I have a bilateral peripheral neuropathy in my feet. That led to metatarsalgia (which does not lead to dancing) and I've been trying to get back to normal for 6 years now.

Proper support in my shoes seems to have fixed the metatarsalgia but nothing seems to help the neuropathy. Some days I can't make it from the house to the car and other days I can't cross the room.

I can't walk barefoot on a tiled floor, which makes the shower even more terrifying than usual. All toe joints swell up after a few footsteps, my feet then get tight in my shoes and the pain begins to spread back from the toes until it's half way up my calves.

I'm practically house-bound because all normal activities like doing errands or walking the dog are out of the question. Traveling is out because airports are huge and I can't make it from Gate 637 to the parking lot, but pain is the real problem.

Meds:
B12 Injections, Vitamin E, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Folic Acid, Fatty Fish Oil, B12 capsules, Acemetacin, Gabapentin and Lyrica.

The gabapentin seems to do nothing at all despite munching them like peanuts. The acemetacin (anti-inflammatory) doesn't seem to do anything either. Lyric works but after a few of those I'm on cloud 19 and about as intelligent and articulate as a bag of lentils and I have a sudden urge to operate machinery.

A little pain never hurt anyone but 6 years of it does seem a few years too many. I've considered amputation but it's unethical, I've considered suicide but no one is worthy of inheriting my movie collection. Even though the suicidal thoughts probably come from eating Lyrica, I can't quite picture doing another 20 years of this.

What can be done that I haven't been doing?

Thanks - rev
revnice is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madisongrrl (07-30-2015)