Thread: My story
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default My story

So here is my story and progression of symptoms

Dec 2013 foot surgery - pin & staple to repair arthritic joint

Foot discolored redish/purple 8 weeks while I was non-weigh bearing, color went normal as soon as I started walking with boot even with aid of crutches

Swelling was for a good 6 mos post surgery

Big toe nail stopped growing for 2-3 mos at about 5 mos post surgery, cuticle as well when it started growing again big ridge across toenail with new growth, not faster or slower than normal.

I didn't notice coldness until weight bearing and I would stand on tile floor and don't recall how long it lasted maybe 1-4 mos post surgery

Never had sensitivity to light touch over surgerical area, some on big toe which we have now determined is bone spur

Some pain when press down on hardware site sends nerve signal to big toe

16 mos post surgery Cortisone injection to try free nerve from scar tissue
area directly around injection sites turned red/purple 1-3 weeks post injection. First week post injection increased nerve symptoms couldn't wear shoe on foot as rub caused burning for 3-4 days. Foot nerve issues have been worse since injection more quick flare ups last a second or so of shooting pain.

No swelling since the 1st 6 mos, only color change is post shower for 30 minutes area turns pink just in area of cortisone injection. Once dry it is whitish in color but I believe this is consequence of cortisone it was not that way pre-injection.

Hard to tell seems like might sweat more now in AZ summer heat but difficult to say if more than right foot.

Now I am 20 mos post surgery trying to decide if I should have hardware and bone spur removed since no doc has confirmed RSD or go with my gut that says it is since I can live with the small amount of pain I have. Of course I would love to be pain free.

Done 2 courses of PT. 1200 Mg Gabapentin for last 9 mos which I would love to get off. Taking B12 Vit and Vit C. Going to be starting a few other natural things with hopes of weaning from Gabapetin.
Luckily my function is normal I can still do all that I did before but wear cute sandals.
goblue1998 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (08-05-2015)