View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi NJ,

Thanks for sharing that information with us.

Regarding the impacted wisdom tooth.... at your age (anyone over 35) this tooth only needs to come out if it is posing a problem; causing an obstruction; or has formed a cyst around it. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this tooth to you before now especially given all of the dental work you have had done over the years. You have certainly had a lot of dental radio graphs for the work and cannot imagine that this tooth did not show up before now. What is the reason for removing it?

It is unfortunate that you had a dentist who root canaled teeth because they were sensitive and painful because of the sensitivity. I suppose you have read on this forum about the health risks of retaining root canaled teeth. If you are interested in reading up on that, I would recommend the book entitled "Toxic Teeth, How a root canal can be making you sick" by Dr Robert Kulacz and Dr. Tom Levy. The book is written in layman's terms and is very informative.

The root canaled eye tooth is obviously showing signs of the inflammation and infection that is harboring inside of the microscopic canals called dentin tubules. Yes, these teeth generally have long roots and can be in close proximity to the sinus. It is not uncommon for an infected tooth to infect the sinus. Your bruxism habit may also be exaggerating the inflammation causing further pain and referred symptoms.

Most conventional dentists will encourage you to retain this tooth because they believe in root canals but also because it can be difficult to replace. The replacement depends on the health of the jaw bone and the adjacent teeth.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOsborne View Post
Hey Bryanna,
Thanks for the reply. Good question! I have had two dentists over the past 30 years - believe majority of the root canals were done by 1st dentist. Each tooth done was sensitive & causing pain. My parents both had dentures. Maybe it's just bad teeth? or from grinding? I really don't know - perhaps this was just what dentists did at the time when a patient complained of pain. I understand now that not all dentists rush into root canals now. I have not had a root canal done twice.

The eyetooth bothering me now has a very long root. I remember 10 years ago my dentist started the root canal but ended up sending me straight over to endodontist to complete it same day. It's been kinda "twinging" over the past four years. The shooting pain started October 2014 before we were heading out on a trip. My dentist sent me off with pain meds & antibiotics saying I should probably have the wisdom tooth removed (before I get too old). But it really doesn't feel like the wisdom tooth which is nicely encased & hasn't moved. Only eyetooth with pain just above it going into sinus is bothering me. Sometimes a burning going along check to end of jaw.
Again, thanks for taking time to answer this.
NJ

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote