View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been down with the demon arm again. I try not to post when I'm in so much pain or wallowing in crapulence, it's not productive for anyone, hahaha.

So first, the biznatch end-

Akash- horray!!! Some relief!!
And sweet corn casserole! Ya know, positive doctor TOS stories are fun days at the DMV. How can Al Roker poses a new mortal body with litter repercussions, and people who want to hold their heads upright lift their arms, and consistently take deep breaths are wasting valuable medical time?
It's not like this has been an identified condition before even anesthesia and hand washing were trendy or anything..
... If you cannot tell by my references I don't have tv or get out much anymore

Interestingly, none of my current docs will admit to this, and I don't have any document to verify she wasn't messing with me, bit a previous ortho once told me that the 90 maneuver , a typical diagnostic for anterior scalene compression, is sometimes relieving for middle and posterior, Scalenes , long as the elbows don't go over the shoulders.. Just interesting..

Anyhoo! I'm culling the data collection now. Please let me know if you have any interest or preference in research, as I have a hit of a collection after having to self advocate for so long.
It will take a bit for be get back to chair pose to send them out to you guy, but they not forgotten!
I have a science background as well and deal mostly in academic publications, but I can find you some other stuff as well if you prefer.

Also if you like can send you some links to some medial scalene self relief techniques that have been very effective for me.
There can be a very fine balance in the neck massage, although I hope you're nerves are not at this point. Sometimes it seems like once you find something that finally works and brigs relief it Turns on you after a few days!! Augh!! There is a science behind this tho.
Basically your nerve cells have something called an action potential, which is the ability of the nerves to get exited and send an impulse from one end to another. When a nerve is irritated (but not fully compressed or cut off, measurable on a emg a Lowered through No velocity) its action potential goes up so to speak. It takes Less stimuli to activate the nerve impulse. Whether it be cramp, or 'sleep' or twitch, or general freak out, it really takes very little to set it off. This is why muscle hyper trophy, scar tissue, fibrous bands, posture, surgical slings, and that goddam 1st rib cause so many issues in the Grand Central Station that is the brachial plexus.
And, for better or for worse, our brains are Very adaptive to certain stimuli, much like you don't feel the constant sensation of wearing your clothes. Our brains however are hard wired Not to shut off that blinking"problem" light. So what what suddenly distracts one day fails the next. Less becomes more.
Long winded, but I hope this helps you understand your tricky neck more.

And Yes! Compensation could be a huge issue! And yes! Strengthening your deep cervical flexors Could possibly take pressure off your Scalenes! This is a big favor is ergonomics and, posture adjustment, occupational therapy, all that jazz. The compensation likely extends past your neck, into your shoulders, mid back, hips, and even feet depending on on how long it's been. (Compensation for chronic creepy shoulder would up tilting my hips waaay to my right. Pt for that Didn't fix my shoulder or tos, but solved the killer migraines). Scalenes are meant to be stabilizing muscles, for jostling rocking, leaning, etc. They're your struts, but injuries and postures easily put them in control, and they are Full of nerves.
If you're already out of whack, than getting your neck back in to shape is something possibly best supervised. I've learned hard what feels "right" after a while is really screwy and it's good to have someone supervising.
Also, someone stopping you in those dark "I just want my head back" moments where you try to do All the exercises ever..

It is Amazingly hard to find a TOS pt. All of the people I have contacted in my long, drawn out saga promised to specialize in it but turned out to be utterly clueless upon signing the paperwork with them. There is the sticky post on here with the suggested PTs, but it is a little dated and a kind of insurance selective as I've found.
My current PT(#5) like yours, is totally baffled by the whole brachial plexus, tos, why you make faces when you lift your arms thing,, and suggested I contact my PCP about getting a second PT referral for someone certified through the postural institute http://www.npionline.org
People trolling the PT thread probably have some suggestions as well.
Also consider taking to a pain doc, physiatrist, etc about your continuing whiplash symptoms. This is a definite start point, and dx, which gives you a Lot more to work with than most! Those Scalenes can be shut off with medication such a gabapentin (ugh), Lyrica, topamex, or more than likely a trial injection of numbing agent followed by some Botox to shut the bad boy Down.
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Akash (08-01-2015)