View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 01:02 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

SOD, that makes two of us. I rarely if ever step out now for personal stuff. I didn't get all your references but I can google them up I guess.
I am based out of India where PT itself is a developing field and ortho docs decide everything and many as such don't develop diagnostics capability.

Thank you for your details. Do please send any references across - I am reading anything and everything and what you have is clearly sensible stuff.

1. I think I have some form of dystonia going on. On the left side, my deep cervical stabilizers are torn up, on the right side of the neck, weak. Scalenes overactive on both sides, right much more so. That spasm on both sides shut off LTN on right (causing TOS via scapular instability and not just scalene spasm). On left, it caused TOS via weak serratus and not completely switched off and general scapular instability + brachial nerve compression.
Blue hands and not just clawed ones mean vein compression either between clavicle and rib or Anterior scalene and SCm
Apparently, weakness on one side of neck makes other side flare up in hyper facilitation per weblinks to compensate.

2. My symptoms worsen when I flex my neck and my arms, upper traps all burn up when i flex my head down. I am wondering whether I have positional stenosis thanks to cervical cord compression as my disc bulge at C6-C7 acts up in flexion. MRI required but again, neck fusion surgery seems to be the answer and will only partly address my issues and not the scalenes. I am wondering whether this is the reason my upper traps spasm and not just the levator/rhomboid overwork due to a weak serratus.

My current method - I think - is to somehow activate my deep neck muscles and keep them up to switch off scalenes. Problem is neck flexion activates scalenes. I tried the Mc Kenzie neck retraction method, and oh boy, it helped my posterior neck symptoms but overactivated my front muscles, which coincidentally included those blasted scalenes and SCMs.

I did a lot of exercises to activate my serratus, and sometimes it works. But as long as the scalenes keep spasming, its a mugs game.
Akash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jzp119 (08-01-2015)