Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
lol @ Idaho potato.

___

Seriously though, isn't the whole idea of the testing to find out if you do have specific cognitive weaknesses [as well as show your strengths] so that you can move forward with professional help?

I often see members devastated by their results or really anxious about what their test may show. I do understand the concerns, honestly, but you won't always feel this way. If the tests show weaknesses in certain areas, it doesn't mean that you will always have that and in the meantime it allows your care team to direct treatments or advise about problems you may be having in school or work or with relationships.

Great advice that Mark has said below in the quote...

I've seen the same in young children dealing with many different neuro problems. Focus on strengths. Accommodate weaknesses.
I think the initial feeling of devastation comes from the shock/surprise. One of the hallmarks of TBI is lack of self-awareness. While we're aware of some of our deficits, it's predictable that testing would highlight some that had escaped our notice. For example, I didn't realize, among many other things, that I repeated myself so much, had poor impulse control, the attention span of a gnat and difficulty with pattern recognition.

That said, once I got over the mourning, the test was an invaluable tool in my recovery. It allowed my cognitive therapy to be targeted toward my specific deficits. The neuro-psych was the best thing I did after my TBI.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-09-2015)