View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglogirl View Post
Hi Hopeless,
I take the morning meds at 9 am and evening at 7 pm with dinner. At night I like a bowl of cereal with a little Splenda.

Last night reading was about 103 had a slice of toast about 1 am and sugar was 144 fasting this morning.

Too my reading now before dinner and is 89

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A simple slice of toast can really raise your level and if you ate that at 1 am and then had a morning level of 144, that is not surprising even though your bedtime level was 103.

Try not to consume ANY carbs after your dinner at 7 PM. If you need a snack later in the evening or during the night, you might try some protein but NO carbs and see if your morning levels come down from those 177-190 levels.

The cereal at night can be attributing to your high morning levels.

If you like cheese or egg, you could try that as a night time snack and see how that changes your morning readings. If you like avocado, that would be a good choice for a snack.

I try to keep a hard boiled egg in the frig for those rare occasions that I get hungry LATE, due to no eating enough at dinner. It gets rid of the hunger but does not elevate my blood sugar readings in the morning.

Do you take your diabetes meds both morning AND evening or all at the same time. You mentioned morning med time and evening med time, but not what meds at each time.

Some diabetics can get away with eating more carbs than others and it depends on the individual. One slice of bread will skyrocket me no matter how much med I have on board.

In the beginning of my diabetes road, I could eat a sandwich for lunch on occasion but as the disease has progressed, sandwiches have been off limits for me for quite some time. My body can no longer handle bread. That is why I asked how long you have been diabetic.

It is a progressive disease and we have to be more and more aggressive with our control as time passes. You may have reached a point where your body can no longer handle a slice of toast or a bowl of cereal, especially if the meds are peaking in their performance at a different time than you are consuming the carbs. (The reason I asked about the timing of your meds.)

Please keep us posted on how things progress. We are here to help any way we can. The complications that go with diabetes can be horrific. Not just the PN, but the entire body and all of its organs.

When I am tempted to eat something that I know has too many carbs, I ask myself if the momentary satisfaction I will get from consuming the item is really worth my eyesight, my kidneys, my limbs, etc. I quickly lose interest in eating that item.

I am far from perfect with my diet and I will indulge in a few items that I know will raise my blood sugar on special occasions, but the thought of the complications help keep me pretty compliant with my food intake.

Even "healthy" foods can make my blood sugar go sky high. I happen to love cabbage but even it will make my blood sugar soar. Just plain cabbage. (NO seasoning or additives of any kind.) Have I eliminated cabbage from my food choice completely? NO. I just don't cook it as often as I would like because my meter has told me that my body does not react well to indulging in it on a regular basis.

I tried going by a list of items from a dietician or nutritionist at first as my guide but I found my meter was the BEST indicator of what I should and should not eat. Everyone is different and their body reacts differently to different food items. Your body will react differently to slow carbs and fast carbs, also.

I do think the cereal and/or toast at night may be factors in your high morning readings.

Let us know if we can help.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote