View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Cripes!! I don't know why I keep writing novels as responses, it has apparently become compulsive, haha! Strangely therapeutic, and allows me to stretch my cramped nerd muscles. I hope these are helpful are at least entertaining.

Sorry for the continued delay on the medical texts. I have them bookmarked on my laptop, and a keyboard in a physical trail I can't even imagine taking on these past few days.

Akash- reread again at a more reasonable time of day, a little less exhausted, hahaha.
If you try out the posture work Def do it under the guidance of a pt especially if you have a cervical bulge, one better informed than your last batch. Although based out of India,I don't know which direction to send you in! I will trawl the net and see what I can find!
I'm really stunned that your disk bulge is being passed off as a non issue.
What?! Docs keep telling me my symptoms don't make sense/ they can't do anything Because I don't have a disk bulge! That's like.. Classic reason to have these kind of issues!
Time for a second opinion. Yeesh

Jzp119- which actually brings me to your MRI thing.
It's not that unusual and seems to be a pretty common story on here and with TOS. A lot of TOS diagnostic winds up being a process of elimination of more common pathologies, the top of the list being cervical radiculopathy and disk bulges. (Maybe more truthfully at the top of the list right under complaining too much and psychosomatic) Even the 'official' TOS/brachial plexus injury diagnostics are highly subjective in not only how they're preformed, but interpreted. This is especially true when the symptoms are largely neurogenic. Can't just take a swab and send it in to the lab.
A fancy brachial plexus imaging may have its place in your future, which push for an MRN which is going to look more at your nerve paths than soft tissue, but honestly unless the test shows a some Massive friggin train wreck of a result most docs don't seem to know what to do with this info.
I wound up pressuring a doctor into ordering an MRN for me because my symptoms were so Insane and no one seemed to have a guess and to what my next move should be. The results came up with nothing major, but noted irritation and issues along my C7, C8, and T1 root nerves (omg lower brachial plexus nerves controlling my arm scapula and serratus, wtfnoway!) They looked confused and affirmed that maybe there was a brachial plexus injury but they didn't know what to do.. Ugh! Sorry, tanget.
Point is, don't stress about more tests yet. Focus on finding help with symptom management. Finding out the "why" isn't necessarily the key to getting your life back and you may never have a satisfying answer of wtf is wrong with your should-scapul-neck.
With your pain level still manageable I would even stretch to say avoid allowing docs try and pass you off on the dead end of increasingly ridiculous tests, yet. At some point it become synonymous with "I don't know, go away". I know it seems like you've already tried a lot of things, but there's many different avenues of conservative treatments you could pursue. Injections, nerve meds, pain docs, etc. In the end medicine is still a Practice. Much like not every musician can make a song you like, not every doc has what it takes to deal with you. You've got a really solid chance a being taken seriously because of your history or trauma, and surgery. And although the pain is smearing Awful on every aspect of your life hasn't reached the everything is on fire point. It's harder to come back from burning wreckage. Consider your scheduling wait times in relative comparison to THIS. FOREVER. Makes 10-14 months seem like a burp. (Ps- 10-14 months?! Call someone else, they are trying to dissuade you from scheduling. ) pro tip- try to line up a couple at the same time, call and bother them every week and check for cancelations. Sometimes really works out time wise, and then you have a plan B when plan A turns out to be mystified by why your scapula levitates.

And damn, good call. Yea, my friend had a sudden onset blood clot style TOS from his body building and successful surgery. His neurogenic symptoms were minimal, but it didn't really go on long enough for him to explore the wide world of crap arm. He arm turned purple, hard surgery, bounced back fast.

Still. Remember, this surgery is a last resort. It wouldn't be suggested at All for anyone without a fairly significant success rate. No, not All surgeries work, but not All of these cases are caused by rib compression. Like I've word spewed, there's A Lot to this tiny space! A Lot that contributes to these issues. If your continuing symptoms Are caused largely by cervical or 1st rib compression, or associated scar tissue, anterior scalene compression, and lower brachial plexus fibrous bands, there is documented between a 50-80% success rate of full recovery after surgery. That's some damn good odds that look even better compared to the odds of laying on the floor in pain every day based on the last few years. As in 1/1, as in That, my friend, is the death sentence. If people can compete in the Olympic on metal spatulas for feet you can climb again as long as you can stop Hurting for a while.

And yea, some doctors truly DNGAF, or think you're lying, or a hysterical woman (maybe not in your case) but it's not the norm. Most just dunno. The complexity and subjectivity, as well as desire Not to be wrong and avoid liability pushes a lot of them when dealing with TOS brachial scapular weirdness to the realm of shrugging and making you someone else's problem rather than taking the responsibility of making the call themselves. It's the same reasoning behind the miraculous ability to help people much less healthy than yourself.

Think of it this way..
If you go to the mechanic and tell them your car is shaking like crazy, the steering is out of control and pulling all over the road, and it makes a terrible noise while driving.. That could really describe any number of things very clearly. If the mechanic takes a look at your car and you have a flat tire (ie- smoking, age, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, bad posture) the issue is probably the tire! Its smarter to try fixing that before ripping apart the transmission or the cv joints, and you'd be pretty cheesed if they did amassive overhaul first when you could have just swapped it for a spare in your driveway.
So if you brought your car in, mechanic said change your tire, again, which you Know is fine.. You'd go another mechanic, wouldn't you?

And I'm totally with you, squishy chairs, beds, pillows, or curved back chairs are Death!! I have a hard mattress which has kept me ok. Canvas military cots are also the best things ever.
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jzp119 (08-05-2015)