View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi toothtroublesgal,

Anytime the oral surgeon has to go back in an debride the surgical site it is considered a serious issue in that it will need further follow up monitoring for a few months or so to be sure that the problem is resolving.

It is a good sign that he found the bone to be healthy when he did this last debridement. It is also good that he did a very thorough debridement which can be more effective than just antibiotics alone.

The incision that he made was done in an area that allowed him to gain access to the bone without causing too much more trauma to the area. It sounds like the over growth of tissue with the second molar was problematic in that debris was getting caught underneath and causing irritation to build up. So hopefully removing that tissue will help the area to heal better and you will be symptom

free from here on out. If all goes well, it would be a good idea to see him or your dentist on your first break from college for a clinical look see and a periapical xray to make sure the area is doing okay.

Regarding the antibiotic.... It would be best for your overall health to supplement with a probiotic starting immediately and continue for at least 3 months or longer. Many people, myself included, take a probiotic supplement on a daily basis as a routine thing to reassure that the intestinal bacteria is consistently abundant in healthy bacteria. Antibiotics kill off the good intestinal bacteria in order to get to the bad bacteria. Unless your diet consists of a lot of healthy fermented foods on a daily basis, you will be deficient in good bacteria. Therefore, it is essential to replenish the good bacteria with a supplement to avoid an intestinal infection or other health problems. One product that is easy to get a drug or food store is called Culturelle. You can buy it online too. Take one per day first thing in the morning or last thing at night on an empty stomach. If taken in the AM, be sure to take the antibiotic an hour or so after the probiotic to avoid cross reaction.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know. Otherwise... hope all goes well and have fun in college!!

Bryanna
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply! I am definitely taking probiotics and I know they're helping my digestive system handle the antibiotics a little better. I'm glad to know that you think my surgeon is handling this correctly, and it helps to get some peace of mind from an informed source.

I do have one more question. While my surgeon is fairly confident the operculectomy will resolve the repeated infection issues, he said that if this continues to be a problem or the gum flap grows back, I may have to get that second molar pulled and possibly the corresponding top second molar to resolve the problem. He says that most people don't have enough room for wisdom teeth in their mouth, but I don't even have enough room on that side for my second molar (which does seem likely.) Would this be a reasonable course of treatment if the area cannot heal properly?
toothtroublesgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote