View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi toothtroublesgal,

You are welcome

Based on your description of the size of your jaw, I can tell you that the oral surgeon had a heck of time removing your wisdom teeth. Again based on the information you have shared here, you have done really well considering.

I would agree with his general assessment about your second molars. He was not implying that you should run out and have them removed. He was trying to forewarn you about the complications that can arise due to the inability to keep that area clean and healthy. If you were to remove the lower second molar and not replace it with an implant, the upper molar that bites against this lower one would drift downward into the open space below because there would be nothing preventing it from doing that. Regarding the implant to replace the molar, if it should come to that.... depends on the health, depth, and width of the bone in that lower right molar area as to if it is sufficient to hold the implant.

So it seems that the best course of action you can take is preventative. The surgeon has removed the excess tissue so to try and prevent or minimize the problem from reoccurring, you may need to alter your brushing habits a bit.
Use a child size soft head toothbrush or a child size electric toothbrush. Make sure to angle the brush so that the bristles are angled against the back portion of that molar and use a circular motion to clean that area. It will take some practice to get the hang of it. Using an electric brush may be easier for you because all you have to do is angle the brush and it will do the work for you. The idea be thorough but not aggressive as you do not want to injure the tissue. The idea is to repetitively, gently shock the tissue so that it does not want to grow back and so that the gum line toughens up as this will inhibit the tissue from over growing.

As soon as the extraction site and newly surgerized area feels comfortable, start the new brushing routine. Initially it may bleed a little, but that's okay. You do not want to make it sore, so let that be your guide as to when you should be more gentle.

Do you use an electric toothbrush?

Bryanna
I do not use an electric toothbrush, but coincidentally I just started using a child size toothbrush a few days ago after throwing my old one out thinking it probably wasn't good to be using the same toothbrush after an infection. I think having a smaller head on the toothbrush is really helping me clean the area better and fit in all the tiny nooks and crannies in my mouth

I am also doing salt water rinses after I eat today. The oral surgeon said I should begin irrigating the extraction hole tonight with my syringe, would it be beneficial to use salt water to do this too?

Thank you for your help!
toothtroublesgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote