Thread: Pet Stories
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I swear if I ever have a cat that acts like a CAT, that will be their name.

So after remembering Hopper, it of course brought to mind our little Hooligan.

The story of how we came to own him is bad enough...

I was sitting at home playing with my three cats at the time, we already had to work on the apartment manager just to have the third cat at the time since the pet limit was 2. So when a knock came at the door, naturally I expected it to be one of my neighbors who was always coming over to hang out. Instead I was greeted by the sight of a little boy holding a bag, and his mother holding a ball of fluff at arms length pinched between two fingers.

Holy cat!!! I reached out and grabbed the poor tiny kitten as the mother said a bit hysterically, "It scares my children, the landlady said you might take it!" Before I can even get out a response as I was still trying to rescue the kitten from her weak hold, the son all but tosses the bag at me and starts to run away. The mother says a quick thank you right after my hand gets around the kitten and they're gone...

Leaving me trying to figure out how I'm going to explain our family's apparent newest addition when my husband gets home. Especially since I'm not sure I understand how I got him either? And I don't understand how, exactly a ball of fluff no bigger than the palm of my hand can 'scare' children so much.

Well, I decide since there's nothing else to do for now, I might as well let him meet his potential older brothers. So I set him on the floor, and wait for the boys to come over to investigate. Their all good boys, I don't really fear for the kitten's safety though I'm right there to keep an eye on things.

Clyde who was the easiest going of the boys, comes over first. Gets swatted on his nose in rapid fire ninja kitten moves and is gone. 'What the... Clyde your head is bigger than the kitten!' Nope he's hiding under the bed, won't budge.

So Koosh-ball, Clyde's twin, and the braver of the two, decides he's going avenge his brother and check out this kitten. I hear a sound, reminiscent of a Tasmanian devil and before I save Koosh from the attack, the little ball of fluff becomes a whirling dervish. Koosh is now beside Clyde under the bed.

Now I'm a little bit worried about this slightly scary kitten, more for it's safety at this point since Squeaky Toy decides he needs to get up from his roost on the shelf and tell this kitten what's what. Squeaky is a good boy, but he can be quite violent to anyone or anything that messes with the twins.

So Squeaky approaches, I'm ready to grab the kitten if need be, his tail is poofed up, his hair is standing straight up on the back of his neck, but does the little hooligan care? Nope! Quicker than I can grab him, he's on Squeaky, and my last hope for saving me from the little hellcat is now hiding behind the twins under the bed....

At least now I understand, how a little tiny poof of fur no bigger than the palm of ones hand can scare children to such a degree. I'm a fully grown adult and I'm rather waiting for the horns to grow from his head, along with a second tail.

After fighting off three fully grown and matured male cats, the little guy trots over to my foot, snuggles up and starts purring. And that is how the DH found me when he got home from work. Stuck in the same spot, needing to use the restroom for at least the past two hours, and dying of thirst, but too scared to move since my lord and master was napping on my foot.

The DH asked me "What the heck is that?" As soon as he spied the seemingly innocent fluff ball, and like a good wife I replied, "I have no idea..." and jumped up, ran to the bathroom, locked myself in and gave him the pleasure of figuring it out for himself.

Needless to say we had Hooligan for 6 years until he tragically died from liver cancer in '05
DejaVu (08-07-2015), msarkie (08-26-2015), msbluis (08-06-2015)