View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublehead View Post
This plasticity you are referring to, does this apply to anything?

I have a hard time watching TV so I try to stay away or watch in short periods (it takes me 4-5 viewings to watch a movie), should I just force myself to watch even if itīs uncomfortable?
Neuroplasticity is a term that means the brain changes and adapts as a result of experience and stimuli. Neurons can and do form new connections throughout life. When the brain is injured, undamaged axons can grow new nerve endings to reconnect neurons whose links were injured or severed. For example, when I was in neuro-rehab early in my recovery, I couldn't solve the flashcard problem 7x4=?. After rehab that included speech and occupational therapy, on a neuropsychological assessment a few months later I was evaluated as "very superior" in the math portion of the WAIS-IV test.

If the TV is uncomfortable now don't watch it. Your brain needs quiet rest. I'm not a neuropsychologist but in my experience the meditation may be useful, even if it doesn't seem the same as it was before the injury.

Are you presenting other symptoms such as memory loss, confusion, or inability to concentrate (such as your TV watching)? If so are you getting any professional treatments? If cognitive issues are bothersome a visit to a neurologist or physiatrist that works with TBI patients may be in order. They may recommend occupational or speech therapy.

Tell us more about what's going on and the forum members will be in a better position to share their experience and help with your questions.

Best to you.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-06-2015)