View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ds680,

You are welcome

The surgery to reduce that area of bone and the anesthetic to be used depends on several things:

** The reason it occurred in the first place.
** Is the bone fragile, weak or limited in that area? Is the jaw bone healthy?
** Is the adjacent molar and rest of the mouth healthy?
** Is the patient healthy?
** The severity and extent of the condition.
** The location of it. Is it on the buccal (cheek) or the lingual (tongue) side?
** Has the condition been very progressive and/or is the progression slowing down?
** Will tissue need to be harvested to cover the surgery site, if so, how much and from where will that be taken?

Unless there is a painful bone exposure that is relentless and still progressing, a wait and see approach is sometimes best because in many cases, the body has a way of healing itself. It just takes time. However, in other cases intervention is needed to encourage the proper healing to take place. This is why another opinion from an oral surgeon is warranted.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds680 View Post
Thank you so much for the incredibly helpful information. If it were to get to the stage of needing that procedure, what would I be expecting in terms of surgery (procedure, inpatient/outpatient, level of anesthesia, etc.)?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote