View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Mike educating electorate on pro-science agenda

I applaud Michael J. Fox's decision to establish an organization (Cures and Hope USA) for "educating the electorate on a pro-science agenda and helping voters make informed decisions in 2008." Education and voter turnout are the best weapons a democratic society has for eliciting positive change. I am proud to stand beside Mike every step of the way as he illuminates the high road going forward.

What we're up against is a president who ignored the wishes of two-thirds of Americans by vetoing a bill that would have eased restraints on federally funded embryonic stem cell research (ESCR). Mr. Bush argues that ESCR "crosses an ethical line" by compelling taxpayers to support the deliberate destruction of human embryos to save the lives of others.

How ethical is it to have created 40,000 excess embryos from in vitro fertilization (IVF), knowing they would eventually end up in the trash? The surest way to prevent the destruction of these embryos is not to create them in the first place, but I've yet to hear Mr. Bush oppose IVF or suggest it would be more ethical for couples to adopt children already here and waiting for families to love them.

It seems to me that Bush's stance speaks for itself and has nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with arrogance and hypocrisy.

Sheryl
SherylJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote