View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi woodfly,

Glad to hear that you had an abscessed tooth removed and as you now know, not all infections show up radio graphically.

Thank you for posting the xray.

The filling material on the molar looks to be amalgam and there are light shadows underneath 2 areas of the filling that may be decay. They are very light and may show up more clearly on a different xray called a bite wing.

The filling material on the root canaled pre molar appears to be metal, may be amalgam or gold on the distal portion and composite or temporary material on the remainder of it. There is a void, most likely decay, in the center portion of this tooth where the access hole was made to do the root canal procedure. It is the half moon shape you see in the center where the root canal filling material (gutta percha) begins. This area of decay is progressive.

Sometimes the angle of which the film was taken is off a bit and the anatomy is distorted. However, on this xray both of these teeth appear to be in close proximity to the sinus. There could be a fracture or something happening at the apex of the rc premolar and it's questionable if there is pathology in the bone.

There is also possible decay interproximally on both the mesial and distal of the first premolar.

What has your dentist diagnosed from this xray and from his clinical examination?

Bryanna
Long story short, this upper tooth had a root canal that was infected. I got a root canal retreat about 3 weeks ago. I will be going to a dentist next week to get my fillings. However from what I understand, root canals don't completely get rid of the infection? I'm considering extracting it because I think it's affecting my sinuses.

I am attaching two sets of photos. The pano is taken before any retreats or extractions

The second picture are taken AFTER he did the "most" of the root canal (he cleaned out the tooth or whatever but didn't finish putting in the material)

I posted my pano a while back and you said that my bottom left tooth had an infection and possible fracture. You were right. In that case, doing a root canal would have done nothing. I almost did a root canal on that bottom tooth. I feel like perhaps this is possibly the same case for my upper tooth? That that root canal retreat is gonna do nothing and it would be better to extract it?

Just by looking at the xrays, do you think an extraction or root canal is better for my upper right?
Attached Thumbnails
Is there anything wrong with my upper tooth?-martin-haung-jpg   Is there anything wrong with my upper tooth?-dentist-xrays-jpg  

Last edited by woodyfly; 08-06-2015 at 10:22 PM.
woodyfly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote