View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

"Just because the label says mild TBI does not mean the effects to you will be minor.
My functional level was basically nil. I slept. I could not read, follow a TV program, make a cup of tea, look after myself or my children.

I hit diesel on a country road, was doing around 30 mph, my car span and hit a verge causing it to roll across the other side, it went into a hedgerow up an embankment and rolled back down.
I only remember the wheel being whipped from my hand as it span out.

I wish someone had not let me sign myself out of the hospital. I wish that I was aware enough to follow pt/OT/ and doctors advice. I thought there was nothing wrong with me.
I wish someone had told me that it can take years to recover and you will not get everything back.

I wish someone could have told me about the stress of legal action. I just accepted a payout at 8 yrs post accident because I had just had enough of it.

I saw a neuro psych at 2 yrs, to find I have severe executive function difficulties and cognitive difficulties. I have poor working memory and other memory issues, flexible thinking is affected.
Neuro ophthalmologist sorted out double vision issues with botulinum injections and prisms in my specs, also I have reactolite lenses that cut out lots of light as I am photosensitive.

I got fed up of being told you'll be better, a week, 4 weeks, 6months then told you will be better but not completely. I spent many futile months trying to prove I was intelligent and not broken. Things only started to improve once I had accepted my new limitations and adjusted accordingly.

Brain injury is scary, confusing, enlightening, funny and exhausting.
I could sleep anytime anyplace anywhere! Listen to your body!
Keep a diary. Then when Drs ask how have things been? You don't look a complete fool by having not a clue or even any idea if you have seen them before.

Thing can and do improve. I'm now working part time. It feels like full time and I really could not do any more.

I have also been told at some point that I had somatoform disorder or functional neurological disorder. This was during the medico legal process. I believed all I needed was some psych appointments to get well. It didn't work, I got distressed because they lied, I felt like a failure and fraud. It set my recovery back no end.

Work with what you have got, don't be afraid to try something new. Believe in yourself! "

Wow, you got a lot of bad care and counsel. Welcome to the club.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blairzo (08-07-2015), DejaVu (08-13-2015), Lara (09-17-2015)