View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

junedbird,

It is important that you brush and floss all of your teeth to keep the plaque from accumulating. Just use water on the toothbrush but brush them all.

The dry socket paste is either out or well absorbed in the sockets by now. Good that you are not experiencing any pain in those areas....good sign considering you were prior to this!

Try to eat healthy. Deli meat is not healthy Drink lots of water, eat fruit, veggies, soft cheese, eggs, things like that.

Use the irrigation very very gently and avoid irrigating that upper left area where the perforation is as you could push debris up into the sinus. Rinse that area with warm salt water instead of the irrigation syringe.

Massage therapy.... perfect... gets the blood flowing, breaks up the inflammation and stagnation. Just go gently and do not overdo it. Your jaw has been through some trauma as it had to be propped open very wide to remove those teeth. So you want to be gentle but thorough.

I still recommend that you see the oral surgeon on monday, not the nurse or assistant, the dentist to evaluate the sinus perf.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebird View Post
Thank you for answering my question. The dressing they gave me with the medication for the dry socket was actually something that dissolves on its own. They told me that the material used to put the medicine in the socket would dissolve and the medicine would stay in the socket which has happened as far as I know. I haven't had any more pain with the dry socket.

As of today I am taking the antibiotics but I have not had any pain medication in over 8 hours and I am not experiencing any pain with the mouth.
However, I do have muscular pain in the jaw. I'm a licensed massage therapist so I've been gently massaging the massater and doing some trigger point work along the tmj which has helped a lot.
Last night I had major pressure and discomfort on the left side of my nose and cheek (where the perforation is) and occasionally I feel a pop or air bubble like when you roll over in bed congestion and it clears up. It's a slight headache type feeling on the left side of my head which eases up a little with massage and heat. I don't have hardly any congestion though and both nostrils are dry and clear. When I drink its fine. I've been doing a saltwater irrigation with the syringe they gave me but haven't done a rinse because the nurse told me to hold off on rinsing , chewing, or even brushing at all on the left side of my mouth.
I've been staying with my parents in the country and its a food desert out here. I normally eat mostly organic and healthy but since being here its been mostly mashed potatoes, noodles, and ice cream.
I've been eating softer solid foods since day 3 - soft cheese, deli meat, noodles, etc. should I go back to just soft and liquid food like smoothies until I can see the doctor?
I notice when I chew I feel a little air in that left nostril but mainly that whole side just aches really bad.
I'm assuming this is to be expected with the perforation. I keep hoping that this will be something that will heal quickly on its own.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote