View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Thalamus Stroke & Seizures - Help Please

Hello, I'm new to this support/forum board and would like any information or help anyone can provide.

My partner is a 76 year old man who went into the hospital for hip replacement, after the surgery he started having a seizure, I'm not sure when the stroke happened, before or after the seizure. We were told he had a thalamus stroke and that the EEG and MRI showed constant seizure activity. He had seizures for 4 days, his body twitched every 2 or 3 seconds. They gave him higher and higher doses of anti-seizure meds - Depakote for one. Finally they have stopped, however, he isn't waking up. He gets repeat EEG's and they still show seizure activity in his brain. He only has short moments when his eyes are open and he has squeezed my hand a few times, he can only move his left side. His right side seems to be paralyzed. He will close his right hand into a fist after the physical therapist opens it up. That has been the only movement so far on the right side. He's not on any type of life support, he's breathing on his own, his blood pressure and vitals are fine. They put in a picc line so he could get some nutrition, he had not eaten in 4 days. I know they are giving him high amounts of pain meds and anxiety meds so perhaps that is keeping him in a sleeping mode. 4-6 hours after he's given pain meds, he starts getting very agitated and pulls on his tubes, clothing, etc. He has not spoken much, a couple of words. He cries, mumbles, moans and on occasion yells out.

Has anyone had seizures along with the stroke? Is this normal? What kind of recovery can we expect for him? He's the love of my life and I'm so very worried. I don't want him to suffer or be in pain but I am very hopeful he will have some recovery in the future.

I'd like to hear from people who know about this subject because it's all new to me. Thanks! Pam in Midwest
Pam0705 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
funnylegs4 (07-01-2020), Lara (08-10-2015), Wiix (08-10-2015)