View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Parents again/ mostly Dad

Hi,
I'm closer to Dad than Mom and our personalities are more a like. Maybe that is why he can set me off more than Mom can.

Dad is going completely overboard with planning for the 3 day Labor weekend visit with hubby and me. He is ex-miliary and a huge planner for every minute. He used to type schedules of his visits. We made him stop that.
He and Mom are going to get a crappy hotel in a crappy part of town (no one asked my opion first) and borrow one of our cars to hang out with hubby and me for meals, activities, exericse, and big discussions about my father's current work.

Every time I deal with them by email or phone I call my sister and cry.

She tells them to give me a break because I am crazy.
Today I called to tell her to be more specific w/ them and to give her more info:

I Have a Mood Disorder.
I work very hard to stay on an even keel.
Almost any disturbance can change the direction of the mood, including Dad's crap phone calls about what restaurant he wants to eat at AND his his next phone call in which he changes his mind and wants a different kind of special food -- like he doesn't get to eat good except when he travels.
Hubby and I are supposed to find good restaurants for them before they get here. (Hubby and I HATE going out to eat btw.)

Sis told them to leave me alone. I will see them at the airport.
That's the attititude I am taking.
I am not worrying about cleaning/organizing the apt/or unpacking moving boxes for them.
If we have to eat pic nic style on the floor because there is too much crap on the dining room table or some of us have to sit on the floor with pillows because we only have one couch (no chairs) in living room, then the heck with it.
I'm going to focus being nice to them when they get here. I will need 5 or so weeks to focus on that --especially after our last truly disaster visit last summer at their place.

He has even told me how I should spend my day before I pick them up at the airport at 6:00 pm!
He is a control freak.
I don't try to control others but I do try to control my environmnet and the conditions/people I allow into it. I am usually somewhat/fairly successful.

I'm going to try to thing positive about this. I am going to forget about them until I see them. I have many things to do involved with my sanity right now and they do not fit into that picture. I will stay busy with my own life and with being with hubby. I reached this conclusion on Thursday and an feeling good about it. Now I have to stick to my own resolution.