View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lansoprazole (Prevacid) is U.S. name for Zoton

Hi Wiix,

I was catching up on your thread and wanted to share some information with you. I hope you find the info. helpful.

Please note: Zantac and Prevacid (Zoton) are in different drug classes.

Ranitidine (Zantac) is a histamine H2 -blocker.
Lansoprazole (Prevacid) is a proton pump inhibitor

RE: Lansoprazole (Prevacid) -
In the U.S., lansoprazole is the same drug as Zoton (UK and Australia).
This was previously marketed under a trade name, Prevacid.
This is a proton pump inhibitor, in the same class as omeprazole (Prilosec).

In the U.S., lansoprazole is available OTC in 15 mg dose, as Prevacid 24HR.

Higher doses and/or special formulations are available by prescription.

Even though lansoprazole is available in lower dose OTC, please be cautious and check with your doctor and pharmacist as to whether or not this is the best medication for your condition and also check for potential interactions with current medications. If your doctor tells you its okay to take this med, please ask about the correct dosage for your condition.

Drugs.com states there are 277 drugs known to interact with lansoprazole.
There are 10 major interactions, 180 moderate interactions and 87 minor drug interactions. http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...soprazole.html

As with any medication, be careful. Check in with your doctor to be sure it is best for your condition. Check with your pharmacist ,if your doctors okays or prescribes a medication, for potential interactions, side-effects, etc.

I hope you get your G.I. issues sorted out soon, Wiix. Please ask your treating physician for more help.

Sometimes, there are things we can do to also help ourselves. Have you tried a food diary? Do you eat and go to sleep prior to allowing time for digestion of foods? Have you looked at the FODmaps diet mrsD had suggested?

I hope you feel better soon!
We are here for you.

Warmly,
DejaVu
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (08-11-2015)