Thread: Troubled
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Phil,

Some days I have cognitive issues. It just happens, but I was pretty scared it was Alzheimer's.

Went off and spent some time with friendly folks for an hour of testing, and one of things they did first was give me three random words. Tulip Yellow Humor. After an exhausting hour of it, I was asked the words. I was almost in tears as I could not recall them. Then was the comment "one was a color.... ". Bingo YELLOW. Uh Yellow Tulip Humor. I passed. With Alzheimer's you wouldn't be able to remember that, nor the fact you had that conversation.

When I am off to meet folks, I do use my cell (mobile, or 'handy') with Google Maps and VOICE on loud. Just the memory jog of "exit at 45th street" helps me get to where I am going. It is common en-route to realize "I don't recognize this road" despite being on it two months earlier.

For me most of my cognitive issues are related to lack of sleep. I can sleep about three hours, but really wish I could sleep for eight hours. That is a huge one.

During my doctor's visits and blood work panels, I was deficient on Vitamin D. So I take 4000 IU daily.

Irony is the best thing I can do is exercise, eat sensible, and try to sleep. I do have Parkinson's so it is pretty apparent. Worst part is my face goes blank, and add a little drooling (sigh), and people assume the worst. In reality I'm just thinking of my next electronic widget I wish to create... and have forgotten to smile and swallow. Yes, I am still presenting (I leave a que card with SMILE and SPEAK WITH INTENT on the podium to remember to do those things!).
Hi TexasTom, your reply is pretty spot on to what works with me also.
I had the memory test in emergency last year when I went a bit funny and yes I passed with a bit of work. I also find with prompting I tend to work out quite easily what I had to remember. Trouble with todays episode is the room number at school I had to go too didn't mean anything.
something I have noticed this week is I'm getting a few more mistakes in my typing on the keyboard.
Hopefully my appointment with the Neurologist isn't far away and I can find some answers,
Hate how I feel, which is embarrassment with my colleagues' when I stuff up.

Thanks again Mate,
Phil
PhilfromOz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-12-2015)