View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ruuuuuunnnnnn from aspartame (Nutrasweet).

The fact that MSG (monosodium glutamate) and aspartame/Nutrasweet) (aspartic acid) are well-known triggers of seizures (they are "excitotoxins") is the basis for my G.A.R.D. (glutamate-aspartate restricted diet). The phenomenal thing to see is that the foods that are rich in these non-essential, neurostimulating amino acids (glutamate/aspartate) can also be major seizure triggers. They just take longer (4-6 hours) to reach the brain and trigger the seizure since they are bound to the food and need the digestive process to release them. The "free forms" (MSG/Nutrasweet) take less than an hour to reach the brain, inciting pain, migraines and seizures.

It was really cool to see that the seizure interval of most of my un-medicated epileptic canine patients was, in fact, 4-6 hours after eating their gluten-grain or soy based diets. This is the same interval that "insomniacs" experience, as they wake up at 1-2 AM and struggle to go back to sleep.

But no matter what you do, ruuuuuuunnnn from Nutrasweet and MSG.

I hope this helps,
John

PS. A good resource is Dr. Russell Blaylock's "Excitotoxins- The Taste that Kills."

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 Corinthians 13: 9,10

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease" Thomas Edison
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote