View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I've discussed the pros and cons of Tysabri with my family (both boys and DIL) and they are concerned about the risk of PML.....especially since I am JCV positive.

I found an article that seemed pretty neutral but gave the hard facts about PML and the risk factors for JCV positive patients. It was a little scary to read I have to admit but I wanted them to know the facts.

They (well my boys at least) have already been through enough with the loss of family members and I don't feel I can risk putting them through another stressful situation for 2 years while I roll the dice with Ty. So it's a no-go for me.

While researching other MS drugs I found that many of the newer oral drugs also carry the PML risk. I was shocked! I remember specifically asking my Neuro if Tecfidera carried a PML risk and he said no. Well, I found a case of someone contracting a non-fatal case of PML after taking Tec! What the what???

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurolog...clerosis/52622.

Now not only do I have concerns about the safety of the MS meds but I question my Neuro's advice on everything now. He put me on Tec BEFORE testing me for the JC Virus!!! I think it's time to look for another Neuro. My confidence in him is gone now. His alternate drug to Ty was Gilenya. Well, looky what I found on it.....

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm456919.htm.

I'm not sure where to turn or what to do.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (08-17-2015), Twinkletoes (08-19-2015)