Thread: Medical Tips
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Butterflys are so much easier!!

I have had to have IVs through my legs before (before RSD went into last leg) and have even had femoral stabs and central lines. The nurses used to hate being asked to remove blood from me! I have never been good at getting blood and the RSD definetly didn't help! Any needle just seems to makes my veins collapse the second a needle touches. Oh well! I did find the butterfly needles and taking it very very VERY slowly helps! Oh and of course, local anaesthetic on the area before you have it taken (as I'm sure you all know!).

After 2 tries the chances of that nurse getting it is teeny (they just get frustrated and randomly stab) so ALWAYS get a new nurse to try - some will try and say that they can do it, but just try and be tactful and explain you know how hard it is and you have a 2 chance rule. I don't always explain about the RSD because it is just not worth it. Oh, if no one can do it and they are going to either do a central line or a femoral stab then make sure you get the phlebotomists to check you over first and see if they can do it.

Love ya, and happy blood sucking!!

Frogga xxxxxxxxxx
frogga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote