View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paty91356 View Post
Thank you for your prompt responses, but they keep triggering questions in my mind...have you had the VERY COMPREHENSIVE genetic testing done? My Neurologist had mine done about 10 years ago (hoping that I had one of the CIPD types that respond to IV globulin)..no such luck..then he told me when I saw him this week, that there is now MUCH more advanced genetic testing available now to identify MORE exactly what the type is, but Medicare doesn't cover the cost and he said it is VERY expensive. I thought about it after I got home, and wondered if I should have it done or not, for my family's information...but..I know that one daughter has it (confirmed by Kaiser Neurologists and comparing my lab results with hers)) and what good would it do my other daughter, and my grandchildren to know? Would just give them something else to worry about in their lives, you can't do anything about it, so I'm still "mulling it over"....Kaiser even told affected daughter that they would pay to have all blood family members tested if we wanted it, but (so far) we have declined their offer...if there was a treatment or cure", or preventative measures to take to avoid it manifesting, I would jump at having the testing done, but under the current understanding and treatment of the disease, I can't see the benefit of further testing..."yuh got what yuh got..manage it!"
Here is a site for DNA blood testing. They are good.

https://athenadiagnostics.com/

They are expensive if you have to do testing for all of the types. I really do not know how it would be paid for. They do have a telephone # so that you could ask them. They have many, many tests for the different types of CMT that they can test for. Even if you do not test positive for CMT it does not mean that you do not have it. It just might be a type that they cannot test for. But, again, they can test for many, many types of it.

I knew what I had before I ever saw a neurologist. And I only had a few symptoms at the time. It's in the family. I have not had any DNA blood testing done as there is no need for that for me or any member of my family. CMT is there.

Take care and thank you for your posts. Hopefully I have helped some.
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote