Thread: Smoking!!
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You don't sound convinced that you want to stop although if you've done it before you know how difficult it will be in the beginning so maybe that is stopping you.

I figure that a person would really need to want to stop before attempting it because it would otherwise be way more difficult.

Imagine .... just for example, that you needed to have surgery for gall stones or something else even that would mean you would be in a hospital setting for days. You wouldn't be able to smoke then and the risks for you under a general anaesthetic would be much greater. In fact these days anaesthesiologists would be hesitant to be involved with surgery on someone who was smoking right up until the moment of surgery.

Smoking with your stomach problems is concerning.

General Practitioners and Pharmacists help people here with quitting nicotine. Any decent doctor who is presented with a patient desperately wanting to stop will usually give them back up services to help them through the most difficult days or weeks in the beginning.

We have Quit hotline telephone numbers here where I live. I'm not quite sure how they work but I imagine they're qualified counsellors. I may be wrong.

The Cancer Council here have great tips on their websites. I'm sure you have equivalent in the USA.
The Govt Health sites here do too but I find that a little hippocritical considering how much money they're making from each packet... but that's a whole other subject. We won't go there.

Reduce your risk - Quit Smoking Tips

I like their 4 Ds advice to help with craving... maybe that might help you.

Smoking and Tobacco Control - Cancer Council Au

If you have a friend or friends who smoke who also want to quit then maybe talking with them may help and you could always quit together.

Number 1 in my opinion is like anything... you need to really want to do it before it can happen.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-21-2015), Wiix (08-15-2015)