View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Sam,

A couple thoughts:

1. About school: when my daughter had her concussion, we were under the care of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, so her Return-to-School plan was amazing. They controlled how the school parsed out her work in a very slow manner while she continued under their care, and the school could not increase work without the doctors' sign-off. All her teachers & nurse were aware of the plan. I've no doubt it's because we were able to be in the CHOP system. I have heard very different stories from many other people, not just you. If you can get to Mark's suggested hospital, GO. It makes a difference and you need it now, and yes, you probably need/qualify for a 504/IEP but your parents should contact the school district now to start getting info.

2. About therapy: Since my concussions over the past 13 months, I have struggled with suicidal thoughts. Seeing a therapist does help. First of all, it is a lifeline to someone who is not bogged down by us at home. Second, they are professionals who can help give us practical skills on how to manage these feelings when they come up: our brains are messed up, so it's even harder to work with intense feelings on our own. I do Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, which is mindfulness based and teaches lots of practical skills, but you can see any recommended therapist you are comfortable with.

I would recommend really prioritizing finding the therapist.

It's very hard to feel so humbled and ask for all this help, right? I've been there.

Be well.
Julie

For the 5-10 years prior to that I’ve had what I now realize were possibly 20+ undiagnosed concussions or sub-concussions. Likely most of these result from Duane's Syndrome, for which I now have prism glasses. Have successfully done vestibular therapy and plan to start vision therapy.

Current companions: Significant depression, anxiety, hyperacusis, difficulty with verbal expression (recall & word mixups), mild spacial/vestibular issues. Feelings of disconnect in relationships.
AndromedaJulie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-17-2015)