Thread: Sense of smell
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Sense of smell

Hi

I just wondered if anyone has experienced an improvement in their sense of smell, as I have, rather than a decline and what is your take on this.

I have always had an average sense of smell, but have noticed over the years that since starting DRT I have periods when I can sense smells that others can't. This was the case a few months ago but to such a degree that I was concerned I was experiencing olfactory hallucinations (phatosmia) and although it can present in PD, I possibly had something other than idiopathic Parkinson's.
However, I was making an Indian meal, the house was full of the aromas of pungent spices, as I was stood over several cooking pots I suddenly smelt the delicate fragrance of orange. I immediately thought "not again, this ain't good " but I then turned to tell my daughter who had entered the kitchen and saw that she was about 6ft away peeling an orange.
Basically I was able to detect the scent of an orange from 6ft away while stood over a pot of curry !
There have now been other examples where I have been able to confirm what I am smelling is real.
I suppose the only explanation is that it is a product of the meds .
Anyone else experienced or come across this phenomenon
Rempatterson, can you offer an opinion as I recall you were involved with research connected to this topic. cheers
Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote