View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Concussion diagnosed as Depression??

Hi all, I'm really confused

I posted here previously about brain functioning problems following head trauma from boxing (6-7 weeks ago). I've experienced all the usual PCS symptoms plus major loss of motivation to do anything, plus anxiety and severe depression.

My GP had several blood tests done, including thyroid function, testosterone and prolactin - so he rules out pituitary damage and also considers this to be a mental health issue, not concussion. I've been seen by a psychiatrist twice in 2 weeks, he firmly believes this is related to a previous episode of major depression - when I was convinced I had suffered brain damage from listening to neurotechnology CD's. I was very suicidal and ended up in hospital for a large part 2010.

So along with my recent, rapid decline in mental health, my strong voiced concerns around brain damage from sparring is seriously being viewed as a major depression relapse indicator. I've been prescribed anti-depressants and my existing anti-psychotic medication has been restated to therapeutic doses. My psychiatrist also stated that if he was in any doubt it was other than mental health, he would have referred me to a neurologist by now.

Everyone else around me - medical professionals, friends etc all firmly believe my symptoms, including my fears around brain damage are severe depression. I am complying with treatment and will do whatever it takes to get better...only, somehow I can't quite believe the rapid decline in my mental abilities following the head trauma being coincidental with a depression relapse.

I can't tell if this is due to a part of me that intuitively knows part of my brain has actually been damaged or if its the irrational fear/beliefs caused by psychotic depression?
Ady_P is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote