View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Attention Cellulitis

Hi Amyv27,

Welcome to NeuroTalk!

Please make yourself at home here!
Lots of interesting forums, including social chat and games, where we share music, movies, humor, wildlife pictures and more!

RE: Cellutitis

It can be quite frightening to suddenly find a patch of cellulitis, as you have mentioned, it tends to spread very quickly.

It's very important to seek treatment right away, as the infection can get into the blood stream, potentially leading to sepsis.

I am glad you had found help quickly!

I have seen cellulitis in the same areas you have mentioned and was surprised to see cellulitis on a family member at this location.

I had attended all of the appointments with this family member, as the diagnosis, treatment and potential causes were discussed.

Events as simple as an insect bites, eczema (with broken skin), any scratch which introduces infection, can open the door to cellulitis.

Very low back cellulitis can also come from a fissure in the gluteal cleft, which some people experience in hot weather, with sweat, bacteria and/or yeast. Often, the gluteal cleft will become irritated and may crack. (The gluteal cleft is aka "buttcrack," for anyone wondering.)

It's very important for the exam to include fully checking for any signs of an co-existing pilonidal disease. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/192668-overview

Sometimes, a person experiencing cellulitis may also be experiencing an immune system issue, having difficulty fully defending the body/tissue from minor infections. However, this is not always the case. Any questions about this should go to your doctor, as only labs can show the status of your immune system.

Taking any immune-suppressing medications?

Discoloration is "normal" as the formerly reddened area slowly fades. However, should it continue feeling hot to touch and/or start turning red again, please contact your doctor immediately.

With my family member, I had marked the outer boundaries of the reddened skin with a marker or pen. This way, I could clearly see where the area was fading and/or shrinking back. I could see progress daily this way. It has taken months for the skin color to return to normal color; yet, the area has not become re-infected.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. I am sure you will find information and support on other forums here, as well.

I hope to see you around the forums!

Warmly,
DejaVu

P.S. it's not very likely the injection done several month ago was responsible for the cellulitis occurring months later. However, did your doctor(s) give you their opinion(s) on this question?
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (08-20-2015)