View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 06:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Requip experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
just curious, what dose/formulation of requip were you taking and how did you like it? if your neuro doesn't like agonists what is going to fill that gap? not being critical, just interested in people's experience with requip.

i needed to extend my on times and try something not affected by protein so tried requip which i had tried 11 years ago and didn't like. due to insurance had to start with the regular requip .25mg three times a day, was a zombie with that low dosage so chickened out after 4 days and stopped which was likely too soon to get used to it. sorry to digress. tried neupro samples and hardly felt anything up to 2mg, after which i stopped since i couldn't afford them but was curious to see if i could tolerate it.

i know parkies that do just fine on requip, stalevo, amantadine.
Soccertese
I have taken a long time to reply, sorry. You know that thought " I'll attend to that tomorrow.....
Background:
I started requip as my first medication 3 months after diagnosis. I tritrated up using starter pack and it took a long time for my body to fully adjust Like months. The tiredness got me a bit and some nausea but I persevered. When I was able I changed to the long acting med which is soooo much better I find. Easy to tolerate even without food and smooth delivery. I think the research is it last about 16 hours. I now divide the dose ( 8 mg am and 4mg about 5 pm). I noticed I was getting swelling in my hands when I took it later at night so I take it while still active. It gives me good night cover I think tho sometimes I need Sinemet for my tremor part way through the night.

When I changed countries I could no longer get the long acting med as it is not approved here!! so it was back to short acting three times a day. I hated it and the fluctuations I got on this regime. Added to this a general dislike of agonists by many NZ neuros including mine who decreased the dose only 2 -4 mg but it was horrid - I was an incontinent crying mess for a while. There was no suggestion of a replacement med.

I had been on the requipXL 5 years and it took a huge toll on my body this change. A holiday in Turkey and finding I could purchase XL over the counter was my salvation. My body sigh of familiarity and relief was almost audible. I now have to import it and bite my lip at the cost. I get generic which I find is fine.

So what can I add that could be helpful:
Agonists have their place but take time to adjust to and should be titrated up very slowly
Long acting is a different med experience to short acting
There is a therapeutic level needed to reach before deciding if they are useful
They do cause some oedema and of course the compulsive issues v important to know about and watch for
I still have wearing off usually after 3hours but manage to keep to 500 - 600 mg l dopa in 24 hours. (Thinking of adding entacopone). I'm in my 8th year since diagnosis now. And also take selegiline 5 mg each day.
Soccertese it's a difficult decision about using agonists with no clear answer.
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (08-19-2015)