View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 10:23 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisongrrl View Post
I feel like I have searched the archives in here and I've read a post(s) from Glenn about Mayo not being too big on performing the skin biopsy because they didn't invent it. He has also recommended that some of the specialized PN centers might be a better choice if you are looking for a cause for your neuropathy. Maybe search through some of the archives on this message board. There are some mixed opinions on this topic.

I do know that Mayo does perform the punch biopsy because people from another online SFN group have been diagnosed that way...so times must have changed or perhaps it depends on which doctor(s) is involved with your case.

Either way, I'm sorry that you are going through this. My symptoms came on very quickly on the week of my 38th birthday in 2014. My neuros's tried to hypothesize that mine came on with a virus......but I never had a known virus. In retrospect, I had symptoms several months to years beforehand that were likely mistaken for muscle-skeletal pain from being a high level athlete.

There are too many of us on this message board who are around the same age (30's & 40's) and we all have body wide symptoms that came on in a very upsetting way and have no known etiology; so here we are, sharing info and looking for answers. The good thing is that we have a good variety of skill sets on this message board and all bring different things to the table. If there is a group of people who are going to get to the bottom of this terrible idiopathic disease, it will be this group!
I also think sometimes because of the heavy workouts and ashtanga yoga that I did for 10 years, I might not have recognized some neurological problems developing (mistaking flares as overuse injuries?). I don't know though, because I was really strong and worked out pretty hard... I never needed for than 3 days to recoup after a sciatica flare or whatever.
Even when the first noticeable symptoms kicked in I kept going till I literally couldn't even do one push up. It wasn't until then that I realized something is wrong and couldn't blame it on my workouts. I still wanted to, but it is 11 months since my first emergency room visit and I am still in miserable fragile condition.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
baba222 (08-20-2015), madisongrrl (09-16-2015)