View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Go Figure!

Jim091866

How do you come up with the answer to my dyskinesia/dystonia to be the Duopa pump? Yes, for those with ups and downs and on/off problems, I do see it really helping there. But the gel is dopamine (carbidopa-levodopa). Ii have met a gentleman who is a doctor and uses the pump and swears by it, but how can it help me? I have to get down to minimal - very minimal or maybe even get off L-dopa entirely. And Duopa is another form of dopamine replacement, only a different method of its delivery. DBS uses the brain's electrical impulse system (similar to how our heart operates). By varying the placement of the probes, they get differing results.

I underwent extensive evaluation, plus the neurosurgeon downloaded and studied about 8-9 MRI's and a myelogram to get a history of my spinal stenosis problems. I trust these professionals and truly appreciate your concern, but Duopa does not appear to be what will work for me. When and if they change their minds, I will let you know. Thanks.

Oh, and I also reviewed the possible use of Apokyn (apopmorphine) - a mega-dose of injected agonist used when off. It caused way more dystonia and dyskinesia. You also must take a strong anti-nausea med with it. Each PWP is very different, and I am no exception.
Thanks.
Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote