View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Thank you!

Hi Tomatogirl,
I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well. Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted. That means a lot to all of us. God bless you!
Claudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatogirl View Post
I forgot to mention, my surgery took about two hours for 8 cysts, L4-S5 and a dorsal plate. I was in the hospital for three days, but could have stayed another day by choice. Pine Creek is a very pleasant private hospital with wonderful nurses and great care. My follow up visit was 8 days after surgery, and I flew back nine days after surgery.

Along with the sacral laminectomy that Dr F does, the wrapping of the cyst, the draining of the cyst is permanent.

With needle aspiration that some other doctors offer, it is temporary. The cysts will refill, sometimes almost immediately.

Whether or not the draining of the cysts will work, depends on the approach as mentioned above and how much of the nerve damage is reparable. Generally, the longer one has had symptoms, the harder it will be for the nerves to recover. Also, nerves take a relatively long time to heal, months to years. Dr F set my expectations at up to two years post operatively to see improvement.

That said, I felt a noticeable difference in some symptoms immediately after surgery and my symptoms were progressively worsening over three and a half years. I'm thinking the immediate improvement was from nerves that were being compressed by the cysts, but not damaged enough they needed much repair to work again. Also post op, some nerves get irritated by the surgery itself, so I was warned some symptoms may return or worsen for a while before improving again. At two weeks after surgery, I'm feeling a bit of that, but can still have an overall improvement in other symptoms.

Looking back, it seems you've been seeking care for a while. I'd highly recommend contacting Dr. Feigenbaum. He was straight with the facts with me and genuinely wants to see his patients improve.
Claudia Santelices is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote