View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Psoriasis Topicals and Shampoos

Hi ger715 and vikrambatra,

I don't know what I was thinking when I had last posted. I think I was tired and had forgotten to mention these products/approaches.

Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned some "natural" remedies being reported as very helpful to many with skin psoriasis. Large groups of people are finding the natural topicals (noted earlier in the thread) as very helpful.

My scalp is always threatening to flare. I've been able to keep that under control by rotating a shampoo formulation named MG217 and Nizoral shampoo, along with a very gentle shampoo. This rotation of these shampoos helps me more than the VERY expensive prescribed shampoos.

(Both are OTC. I had read an article quite some time ago , written by a dermatologist, suggesting these two type of products be rotated to keep the scalp in check. MG217 is a lightly scented coal tar shampoo. Nizoral shampoo contains Nizoral, which is an anti-yeast medication.)

MG217 products in general -- shampoos, creams and gels -- are recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation and this in on the bottles of MG217 bottles. If one is looking for an OTC product, the MG217 products are suggested at the NPF site.

Another OTC product, most healing for my elbow psoriasis is: Psoriasin Gel.
This is also an OTC recommendation made on the official NPF site.
The dermatologist has suggested rotating the OTC Psoriasin Gel with a topical (prescribed) triamcinolone acetonide USP 0.1% ointment (a weak steroidal ointment).

These are relatively low-cost approaches, compared to most prescribed new formulations for psoriasis.

A prescribed scalp treatment I use on rare occasions, when things are flaring more: betamethasone valerate lotion USP, 0.1% (on scalp). This puts the fire out, right away.

This approach would not be adequate for someone covered with skin psoriasis.
This approach is an approach for people with mild scalp issues and/or small areas of psoriasis-- like elbows, etc.

Geri, the Dermarest formulations sound very interesting! Thanks for mentioning those, along with mention of the prescribed cream you use.
I will check them out.

As for prescribed topicals and shampoos, there are so many available, it gets confusing. In my case, the OTC approaches are working well enough at this time.

Many people will suggest tea tree oil shampoo. This is usually okay to use once a week, as it's usually very drying to the hair and scalp and using it more often may aggravate the scalp.

I have found various medications often set off a scalp flare. My scalp will feel like it's on fire and it all goes quickly downhill from there. I have to stop the offending medication immediately.

To Our Comfort and Healing,
DejaVu

Last edited by DejaVu; 08-19-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typos
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (08-19-2015)