View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Tommy,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

1st. There is no medication that reliably treats your issues. Amitriptyline is usually only prescribed at low dose (10 mgs) for insomnia with headache. It's not surprising it has not helped.

Some have tried amantadine with some finding a benefit, others no benefit.

btw, amitriptyline is an anti-depressant so it is being prescribed off-label.

Many of us find that good brain nutrition is important. The vitamin regimen in the Vitamins sticky at the top has the suggested regimen. It is not a quick fix. It helps your brain heal slowly. A few weeks of consistent use should start to show improvement.

Regarding school. A heavy course load will delay your recovery but more likely result in lower grades. Can you spreed the year out to an additional semester so you work load is reduced ?

Some have tried adderall with varying results. It will not be helpful with continuing recovery. The recovering brain needs rest. Adderall just pushes the brain. Some have tried a cup or two of coffee in the am. Don't mess with too much caffeine.

I think your basketball career is over. You cannot afford the risk of another impact. You are at a point where you risk serious prolonged PCS struggles, maybe lifetime.

You will likely find you need to slow down in most of your life, classes, socializing, work, etc. So, take a lighter course load and try to learn how to learn with a PCS brain so that you actually have skills to take to a job.

Feel free to ask more. There are plenty of good people here.

My best to you.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. After meeting with my doctor today, I have decided to stop taking the amitriptyline and I will be trying a new medication called topamax which is suppose to help with migraine headaches. I am still struggling with what to do about classes this semester, but I have a 2-3 week span to decide. The only problem with taking less classes and adding an extra semester of school would be the money situation because college is never cheap. As far as basketball is concerned I am not expecting to play this upcoming season, but a part of me has hope for a miraculous recovery that would somehow allow me to. I appreciate your response and look forward to posting more questions about my PCS problems in the future.
Tommy459251 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote