View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 10:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuroproblem View Post
Nerves can regrow dendrites, or extensions of the nerves, but not regenerate the nerve itself. humans do not have this capability. It is more common in non-mammals, usually the ones that can regenerate whole body parts.
Nerves can make new extensions to compensate for damage, but not if theres too much loss of myelin or damage, then its less likely recover from any amount.
I always though the heart of SFN specifically was that the Mylein sheath was basically gone or deteriorated. That causing the common symptoms of burning, biting, buzzing, etc. My neurologist said that is a big part of it and there is a debate on whether it can be regrown or not. The nerves themselves are usually intact depending on how far it has progressed, no?

In my case I have Normal Epidermal nerve Fiber Density but I have skin with significantly reduced Sweat Gland Nerve Fiber Density (consistent with SFN). The Result was 30.4 which is below the required 36.5.

My neurologist said years ago they would have said there was nothing wrong with me but we have this new test that can show more. He said they basically said it would've just been considered paresthesia or possible Fibromyalgia. he tells me I have a very mild case of SFN! I tell him you just be kidding, what does a serious case feel like!!!
Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-23-2015)