View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Patrick,

You are correct that meter readings can be off and to stress over something 105 that may really be a 90 is futile.

I am diabetic and rely heavily upon my meter for insulin dosage. I always do my own reading right before having a lab draw. My most recent one was 1 point different than my meter. It is usually never more than 2 points different. That is how I check the calibration of my meter to know that I am getting accurate results.

As a diabetic, I also know when a reading from my meter should be of suspect. If a wake up and have a fasting blood sugar of 166, I know I need to re-check. Did I test too soon and the alcohol was not dry? Did I have soap residue on my finger?

Whenever I get a reading that is not what I expect, I always test again within a few minutes to verify. The day I got the fasting 166, subsequent test showed 168. It WAS a correct reading. My fasting levels returned to "MY" normal the next day. It was just an odd day in the life of this diabetic. I will get an abnormally HIGH FASTING level about once a month. Don't know why but I do verify that it is a valid number and not a meter mistake or some other external source that caused an erroneous reading.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-23-2015), Patrick Winter (08-20-2015)